Subject: Freezing coated paper

Freezing coated paper

From: Alayne Alvis <alayne.alvis<-at->
Date: Thursday, June 13, 2013
We have several 'coffee table' type books with glossy coated paper
that requires freezing to deal with possible insect infestation.
The possibility of damage to the paper from the freezing process has
been raised.  I would think that maintaining a minimum amount of air
in the sealed bag and keeping it sealed until material returns to
room temperature would minimise risk to the paper surface.

Are there any other precautions that should be taken, or is freezing
this sort of paper inadvisable?

Alayne Alvis
Conservator
Sydney University Museums