Subject: Board shears

Board shears

From: William Minter <wminter<-at->
Date: Wednesday, June 5, 2013
Over the past weeks, I had an opportunity to visit a number of labs
on other business.  During the visits, I had a quick look at their
board shear.  Sadly, there were concerns with all of them.  The most
notable concern was that the counter balance weight had loosened on
one of them.  Fortunately, a vital safety pin was in place that
prevented the weight from falling off.  Had it fallen, the results
could have caused bodily harm.

Hopefully everyone who owns or manages a board shear knows that The
Guild of Book Workers website has some detailed information about
caring for a board shear:

    <URL:http://guildofbookworkers.org/_wp/index.php/adjusting-the-jacques-board-shear/>

In addition to safety concerns and adjustments, there is some new
information about testing the squareness of the cut:

    <URL:http://guildofbookworkers.org/_wp/index.php/squaring-the-fence-on-a-board-shear/>

And in an upcoming supplement, there will be information regarding
the clearance under the treadle clamp.  That should appear in the
coming months.  Be safe with your board shear.

Bill Minter
William Minter Bookbinding and Conservation, Inc.
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020
Fax: 814-793-4045