Subject: Air abrasive systems

Air abrasive systems

From: Robert Proctor <robert<-at->
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Rebecca Bennett <rebecca.bennett.09 [at] ucl__ac__uk> writes

>We are thinking about options for an air abrasive system for
>overseas field work. The main application will be removing the
>closely-adhered layers of sediment from the surface of lithics and
>fossils.

You may want to look at the Paasche Air Eraser. It is very similar
to their airbrush yet made to "spray" fine particles (e.g. aluminum
oxide etc.). One source is Micro Mark, (item 84293)

    <URL:http://www.micromark.com/paasche-air-eraser-mini-sandblast-gun-set,9117.html>

a company that sells tools for model builders where it is sold to
"distress" and remove paint from plastic models. I believe it can be
used with either a small compressor or cans of compressed air. This
online catalog is a great source for many useful tools like tweezers
small clamps. scalpel handles etc. usually at much lower prices than
found elsewhere. If anyone has used one, please let me know if and
how successful it has been.

Robert Proctor
Whitten and Proctor Fine Art Conservation
1236 Studewood Street
Houston, TX 77008
713-426-0191 (phone/fax)

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 28, 2013