Subject: Linoleum

Linoleum

From: Dominique Rogers <do<-at->
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Kathleen O'Hara <kohara [at] tenement__org> writes

>We have a historic linoleum rug that needs to be removed so that
>conservation work can occur on the floor underneath it.  It measures
>approximately 9 feet x 12 feet, and needs to be moved through a
>doorway that measures 29 inches" wide and about 8 feet high.
>
>We've thought about trying to find a large diameter cardboard tube
>to roll it around, but haven't had any luck in looking for one.  The
>linoleum is brittle and may not survive rolling well at all, but it
>seems to be our only choice at the moment.  Has anyone done this
>before? Do you have any suggestions for the most successful methods
>of lifting, moving, and storing a historic linoleum rug?

My problem was reverse to yours, I had to unroll a large (about 5x3
metres) painting on linoleum which was solid. I put it in a room
with a lot of radiators and at a temperature of about 30 Celsius, I
started to unroll.  It worked very well. If the heat works you do
not have to roll the thing completely but just fold it to get
through the door.  doing it with a roll of plastazote in the middle
would prevent crushing. dominique Rogers

Dominique A. Rogers, MA. BSc (Hons), ACR.
Lieu-dit Maubin
47200 Beaupuy
France
+33 533 000 501