Subject: Linoleum

Linoleum

From: Elizabeth Meek <l.meek<-at->
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Kathleen O'Hara <kohara [at] tenement__org> writes

>We have a historic linoleum rug that needs to be removed so that
>conservation work can occur on the floor underneath it.  It measures
>approximately 9 feet x 12 feet, and needs to be moved through a
>doorway that measures 29 inches" wide and about 8 feet high.

We successfully moved two long runs of 100 year old linoleum at
Scott's Hut, Cape Evans, Antarctica. Each run was approximately 2m
wide by 15 metres and the lino did not retain all of its original
scrim backing.

We constructed a drum out of battens and flat sheeting, and rolled
the lino onto this, - you could take this approach or you could
modify (for example) something like an electrical cabling drum by
fixing a flat sheet onto the wheel rims around the circumference of
the drum. Then line with Tyvek or other similar barrier material.
Our lino responded well to gentle warming, which then made it
flexible enough to roll without cracking or stress. Due to the cold
temperatures in the hut we used a heat gun on a very low setting,
held at a controlled distance from the lino, having worked from the
basis of almost no heat, gradually increasing the temperature until
necessary flexibility was achieved. can have an inner lining layer
to prevent any abrasion of the lino surface. Rolling onto a
tube/drum means you can then suspend or support the weight of lino
through the middle of the tube rather than putting any weight onto
the lino itself. In our investigation as to best methods of moving
and protecting the lino we found that there were many different
'recipes' for lino - different oils and fillers can have an effect
on how flexible the lino is now, and how well the lino responds to
warming. We only stored the lino for a few weeks, and monitored it
for changes in condition. We used the warming procedure to re-lay it
successfully.

We used a combination of conservators with experience of fragile
materials, and heritage carpenters to work with building the drum
and rolling the lino, adapting our solutions along the way as we saw
how the material reacted.

I would be happy to send you images or further specific information.

Lizzie Meek
Programme Manager - Artefacts
Antarctic Heritage Trust
Private Bag 4745