Subject: Vacuum cleaners

Vacuum cleaners

From: Thomas Dixon <dixon-tom<-at->
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Misa Tamura <mtamura [at] britishmuseum__org> writes

>I am currently looking for a vacuum cleaner which withstands long
>hours of use to clean large objects such as canoes and boats. The
>specifications required are: variable speed control, HEPA filter as
>well as the motor powerful enough to carry out up to 8 hours of
>vacuuming a day. ...

Vacuum cleaners are great for their portability and for occasional
use, but for constant use, day in and day out, there are better
alternatives.

The high pitched noise of vacuum cleaners is damaging to hearing
over time and appropriate hearing protection is uncomfortable and
tedious for many hours use.

These high speed motors aren't designed for long operation.  Nilfisk
are in my experience about the best of the lot but even they burn
out with constant use though can be rebuilt economically.

And vacuums are lumbered with a HEPA filtration system that must be
properly emptied and cleaned regularly, possibly several times a
day.

I suggest you consider a central vacuum cleaning system where the
motor is located remotely.

You don't need a variable speed motor as you can control the airflow
at the hose, noise isn't an issue in your studio as the motor is
located elsewhere, and emptying the dust would probably be a weekly
chore rather than one done daily or even more frequently.

You will need to check with suppliers to find a motor capable of
sustaining the long hours of operation and you will also want to
have a trap installed in your studio for buttons or other items you
might accidentally pick up, but you won't need a very powerful unit
for your work.

Thomas Dixon
Melbourne Australia

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 28, 2013