Subject: Glassine

Glassine

From: Klaus Pollmeier <pollmeier<-at->
Date: Thursday, May 23, 2013
Lauren Jones <collectionscare [at] rhqre__co__uk> writes

>I am the Curator - Collections Care at the Royal Engineers Museum in
>Kent, UK.  I have read recently that glassine could be used as a
>slip sheet for between prints and drawings (Margaret Holben Ellis'
>Care of Prints and Drawings).  But when I mentioned this to a
>visiting conservator, she was a bit dubious about its use.  So, can
>anyone confirm the good or bad points of using glassine, ...

Even though today's manufacturers claim that modern glassine is of
"better" quality than the old stuff, i.e. of neutral pH and P.A.T.
certified, this does not address the real problem associated with
it: Should it ever get wet, it will become wavy and will stick
permanently to most photographic surfaces. Residues are almost
impossible to remove, with a permanent change of surface texture.
Inserting many interleaving papers into albums may cause stress to
the spine and should not be done without obvious need. I would check
first, whether the photographs' surfaces have already suffered: If
they have not during decades, why should they now?

Klaus Pollmeier
Photo Conservation
Muelenfeld 43
45470 Muelheim a. d. Ruhr