Subject: Air abrasive systems

Air abrasive systems

From: Molly Carlson <mcarlson<-at->
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Rebecca Bennett <rebecca.bennett.09 [at] ucl__ac__uk> writes

>We are thinking about options for an air abrasive system for
>overseas field work. The main application will be removing the
>closely-adhered layers of sediment from the surface of lithics and
>fossils. > >Does anyone have experience of any kind of portable air
abrasive >system or other set-up for this sort of application which
might be >suitable to take on an international flight from the UK to
Tanzania? >...
I wonder if you know about the Crystal Mark company that specializes
in smaller air abrasive units.

    <URL:http://www.crystalmarkinc.com>

They have a partnership with Paleo Tools

    <   URL:http://www.paleotools.com>

that specializes in the tools needed for fossil/paleontology work.
Both are based in the USA. While I don't know if they have a field
version of their bench top models, Crystal Mark could likely
custom-make something for you. They are a clever lot and are always
interested in how their tools can be tweaked for other professions.

Both are based in the USA. While I don't know if they have a field
version of their bench top models, Crystal Mark could likely
custom-make something for you. They are a clever lot and are always
interested in how their tools can be tweaked for other professions.

My Swam Blaster unit from Crystal Mark has a flat topped glove box
and I can use my stereomicroscope with a fluorescent sub-stage ring
adapter to see items in the glove box (does not come with an
internal light). I use a 6 HP pancake style electric generator for
air compression and I put dryer on the air hose (from Crystal Mark)
before a junction box to split the air for two tools:  a #3
vibrating needle from Paleo Tools that runs on 100 psi and the other
is the line for the air abrasive pen.  The Air abrasive system can
shoot soda bicarbonate, glass, dolomite, or Al-oxide grits that are
from 17.5 micron to 40 micron but I generally shoot between 17.5 -
27 micron grits.   All are available from the same Crystal Mark
companyor through Paleotools. My unit is capable of 1-160 psi but my
compressor is 125 psi and that is the limiting factor.  I generally
run 10 -80 psi.  I use a nilfisk hepa vacuum for dust collection
when I need my system to travel.

Molly O'Guinness Carlson
Archaeological Conservator
Maine, USA