Subject: Linoleum

Linoleum

From: Kathleen O'Hara <kohara<-at->
Date: Monday, May 13, 2013
We have a historic linoleum rug that needs to be removed so that
conservation work can occur on the floor underneath it.  It measures
approximately 9 feet x 12 feet, and needs to be moved through a
doorway that measures 29 inches" wide and about 8 feet high.

We've thought about trying to find a large diameter cardboard tube
to roll it around, but haven't had any luck in looking for one.  The
linoleum is brittle and may not survive rolling well at all, but it
seems to be our only choice at the moment.  Has anyone done this
before? Do you have any suggestions for the most successful methods
of lifting, moving, and storing a historic linoleum rug?

Kathleen O'Hara
Collections Manager and Registrar
Lower East Side Tenement Museum
91 Orchard Street