Subject: Handling objects in museums and galleries

Handling objects in museums and galleries

From: Catherine Bennetts-Cash <catherine<-at->
Date: Monday, April 15, 2013
I am currently researching the topic of handling objects in museums
and galleries for my MA Preventive Conservation dissertation.  My
proposed research questions are:

How does physical engagement with objects enhance the visitor's
experience of a collection?

How might museums and galleries best support tactile experiences for
visitors while continuing to fulfil their preservation duties?

To help me develop my research plan further I would greatly
appreciate responses to the following questions:

Do you know of any museums/galleries that provide engaging and
meaningful tactile experiences?

Do you know of any museums/galleries that have developed new
approaches or initiatives in relation to providing tactile
experiences for visitors?

Do you know of any museums/galleries that educate visitors on
handling techniques?

Have you experienced handling collections or touch sessions at a
museum/gallery? Did you find the experience valuable?

                  Distributed: Sunday, April 21, 2013