Subject: Framing woolen garment

Framing woolen garment

From: Robyn Waymouth <robyn.waymouth<-at->
Date: Monday, April 15, 2013
I have been asked to advise on how to frame a fine pure wool
hand-knitted vest (sleeveless pullover) and wonder if anyone can
help.  I'm thinking of placing a narrow "pillow" of synthetic
(polyester?) wadding inside it and padding out the shoulders a
little, then carefully stitching the vest onto the wadding to carry
its weight.  We'd have a deep frame made to accommodate it.  Is
glass or acrylic the better choice and should we insist on acid free
matts?

I'm also concerned about moths getting in and munching holes in it,
but I also wonder if it should be air tight--by keeping moths and
silverfish out we also keep air out.  It will be hung in a private
home with no special environmental conditions (at Stawell, for those
who know Victoria).

As you see I am a mere archivist, but I'd like to help preserve this
beautifully made garment--advice very gratefully received.

Robyn Waymouth
Archivist
Royal Women's Hospital
Locked Bag 300