Subject: Alternatives to cotton wool

Alternatives to cotton wool

From: William Minter <wminter<-at->
Date: Saturday, April 13, 2013
Savannah Marlatt <savannahmarlatt [at] gmail__com> writes

>I am looking for materials that have similar properties and
>characteristics to cotton wool, but which leave behind few/no
>residues.  The primary considerations are absorbency, reaction to
>common solvents, and technical application.  Materials I am looking
>into presently include natural/synthetic sponges and non-woven
>textiles.

You might want to have a look at the synthetic towels that are used
in the computer industry. One non-woven fabric is Tek-Wipe, that is
a blend of 45% polyester and 55% hydrospun cellulose. Book and paper
conservators have been using this material as an alternative to
blotters for a number of years. This material can be washed for a
softer finish.  Perhaps Tek-Wipe will meet your needs.

Short yardage is available from Polistini Conservation Materials in
Washington, DC

    <URL:http://www.polistini.com/products/non-wovens/tek-wipe.php>

William Minter
William Minter Bookbinding and Conservation, Inc.
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020
Fax: 814-793-4045