Subject: Impression casts from cuneiform tablets and seals

Impression casts from cuneiform tablets and seals

From: David Cottier-Angeli <dca<-at->
Date: Monday, April 15, 2013
Heather Richardson <heather.richardson [at] prm__ox__ac__uk> writes

>As a University museum with a heavily researched collection we are
>occasionally asked by researchers if they can take impression casts
>from objects such as cuneiform tablets or stone seals. ...
>
>... We would be very interested to hear from any museum
>colleagues regarding the policy of their institutions on this
>subject and also suggestions of a casting material they would feel
>confident in recommending.

Have you considered the uses of light 3D scans that do not need
surface preparation and are performed at quite fast rate?

On some of my ongoing projects we are considering this technology
quite seriously and are on the process to implement this on a
systematic manner in order to give access to scholars from any
secured internet across the globe.

The actual fast developing technology is offering possibilities that
open two different ways for our museum standards were true
measurability seams to compete with visual comparison as we always
uses on museum studies. Industry standards may not be truly our
preferred target on this topic. But having said that, there is a lot
more and I will be quite happy to discuss off line. Feel free to
contact for details.

David Cottier-Angeli
Associated Member of the Swiss Chamber of Technical and Scientific
Forensic Experts
5C Route des Jeunes
CH-1227 Geneva
+4122 300 19 55