Subject: 19th century paper conservation materials and techniques

19th century paper conservation materials and techniques

From: Christine Smith <chahana_art<-at->
Date: Monday, April 8, 2013
    author.

For a book on paper conservation practices in North America and
Western Europe during the 19th and early 20th centuries, I am
compiling an appendix listing collections that have samples of
materials or objects treated by old repair techniques.

If your collection contains samples of transparent tissues, tracing
papers, mending or mounting papers, silk crepeline, tracing cloth or
other treatment materials that can be identified as to manufacturer,
approximate decade of use, or person/institution that performed the
treatment, I would appreciate hearing from you.  Please provide an
accession number or other location identification.

Old maquettes or diagrams of treatment procedures, housing, or
display techniques are also desired.

If your institution has objects that demonstrate treatment
techniques and materials from this period (roughly 1830 - 1920), I
would like to know. Of special interest are: fixatives/fixing,
boiling/simmering treatments, steam treatments, procedures designed
to prevent fading, repairs made with paper powder/pulp, image
intensification methods other than those for iron-based inks.

Please specify what materials or techniques were used, when, and by
whom--or direct me to a source for that information.  All
contributions that are used will, of course, be acknowledged.

Christine Smith
6044 Old Telegraph Road
Alexandria, VA. 22310-2146
USA