Subject: Cleaning silicone

Cleaning silicone

From: Sam Conover <s.v.conover<-at->
Date: Tuesday, April 9, 2013
Does anyone have any information on the cleaning and repair of
silicone? The objects in question have are exuding an oily
plasticizer which has cause the surfaces to become sticky. This
stickiness is attracting dust and dirt to the surface. Furthermore,
some of the objects are torn and missing parts. I know that invasive
conservation of plastics is still rather experimental, and while I
am aware of cleaning trials for other plastic materials, I can't
seem to find anything on silicone.

Sam Conover
Independent conservator

                 Distributed: Saturday, April 13, 2013