Subject: Epotek 302 and Epotek 730 UNF

Epotek 302 and Epotek 730 UNF

From: Robert K. MacDowell <robert<-at->
Date: Wednesday, April 10, 2013
We would be very interested to know if anyone has evaluated Epoxy
Technology (Epotek) adhesives 302 and 730 UNF for use in bonding
ceramics and glass and we are especially interested in the issues of
color, yellowing, and how the adhesives resist being absorbed into
the body of soft-paste and other porous ceramics.

Epotek 301 and 301-2 are well known for their excellent properties
in bonding glass but, unfortunately, they are quickly absorbed by
some ceramics and not enough adhesive remains at the bond lines to
yield a strong bond. Additionally, any adhesive that wicks into the
ceramic body is likely to wick under any surface decorations or
color and change the appearance around the bond lines in an
unfortunate and irreversible manner.

Another adhesive we'd like to investigate is Loctite E-30CL, which
is very clear and seems to resist color change for up to 10-years
(based on a test streak one of Loctite's personnel has on her desk).

Robert K. MacDowell
MacDowell Restorations
39845 The Narrows Road
Waterford, Virginia 20197