Subject: Vacuum packers

Vacuum packers

From: Nicole Gilroy <nicole.gilroy<-at->
Date: Monday, April 8, 2013
We at the Bodleian Libraries are considering the purchase of a
vacuum packer as part of our emergency preparedness kit. I'd be
interested to hear about your vacuum packers: what size did you buy,
how often have you used it and for what scale of disaster? How does
such a machine cope with being used only very infrequently (we would
hope!)? We envisage using ours selectively, in case we needed to
salvage certain types of bound material and possibly parchment as we
already subscribe to a salvage company who can freeze and vacuum
freeze dry large quantities of material.

Nicole Gilroy
Book Conservation Supervisor
Conservation and Collection Care
Bodleian Libraries