Subject: Slippers for historic floor preservation

Slippers for historic floor preservation

From: Lori Arnold <woodbldg<-at->
Date: Thursday, April 11, 2013
Catherine Bennetts-Cash <catherine [at] bennettscash__id__au> writes

>I am currently researching the use of slippers for historic and
>decorative floor preservation. I am compiling a list of historic
>houses, heritage sites and museums that use slippers for this
>reason. If anyone knows of any places that request visitors to wear
>slippers or a similar form if special footwear for floor
>preservation please let me know.

I work with the Pollock-Krasner House and Study Center in Spring
NY.

    <URL:http://sb.cc.stonybrook.edu/pkhouse/>

Jackson Pollock's original studio floor is accessible to the public,
but they do require the use of foam booties. We have discussed
different types of protective footwear, in order to avoid any
'picking' of the friable, floor surface, but we always come back to
the same booties--mostly for their practicality and cost. Visitors
have a tendency to walk around the perimeter of the room to look at
the photos hanging on the walls. As a result of the foot traffic
while wearing these booties, the paint surface on the floor is
polished, somewhat, and has a sheen that the center of the floor
doesn't have. As a conservator, this bothers me, but the Director
wants the floor to be accessible to the public for interpretive
reasons.

Lori Arnold
President
Arnold Wood Conservation, LLC