Subject: Alternatives to cotton wool

Alternatives to cotton wool

From: Savannah Marlatt <savannahmarlatt<-at->
Date: Monday, April 1, 2013
I am an MA student investigating cotton wool alternatives for the
degreasing of inlaid metalwork.  Although the use of cotton wool
swabs is standard, the problem of residual fibres has been noted.
The fibres have negative aesthetic consequences, may promote
corrosion, and are time-consuming to remove.  Where there is also
the potential for mechanical damage through snagging, as is the case
with inlaid metal surfaces, I believe that an alternative material
might be particularly beneficial.

I am looking for materials that have similar properties and
characteristics to cotton wool, but which leave behind few/no
residues.  The primary considerations are absorbency, reaction to
common solvents, and technical application.  Materials I am looking
into presently include natural/synthetic sponges and non-woven
textiles.

I would greatly appreciate any input regarding cotton wool
alternatives, including the use of alternatives during treatment or
ideas for potential alternatives.

Savannah Marlatt
Postgraduate Student, Metals Conservation
West Dean College
West Sussex, England

                   Distributed: Sunday, April 7, 2013