Subject: Avalure AC 315

Avalure AC 315

From: Deborah Uhl <deborahuhl<-at->
Date: Saturday, March 23, 2013
In 2011, my colleagues and I successfully preserved an exterior
ghost sign in Fort Collins, Colorado using Avalure AC 315.  Since
then I have heard a number of other Conservators testing and using
Avalure on a variety of materials they are treating.  The
manufacturer of the product, Lubrizol, has discontinued making the
AC 315.  Do any of know where it might be obtained today other than
through Lubrizol?

If this polyacrylic acid proves to be quite useful to Conservators,
how can we go about finding a company that could produce it for us
in the small quantities Conservators usually use?  Perhaps we could
team up with some Building Conservators since Avalure successfully
preserved the exterior of the Building Museum in DC.  Any
suggestions would be appreciated since I am now being asked to
preserve other ghost signs and I am at a loss for obtaining the
material needed to do the job properly.

Deborah Uhl
Fine Artist and Conservator
Creative Conservation Collective, LLC.