Subject: Food and drink in gallery spaces

Food and drink in gallery spaces

From: Thomas Dixon <dixon-tom<-at->
Date: Saturday, March 16, 2013
Brenda Smith <brenda.smith [at] mackenzieartgallery__ca> writes

>I am looking for information from institutions that have any policy
>regarding allowing drink and/or food in gallery spaces.

For the past few decades it has been common practice for public art
galleries to allow water bottles and baby requirements in exhibition
spaces any time, but not other food or drink except during catered
events such as openings, receptions, VIP dinners and etc.

The main concern is making certain food scraps do not attract or
support insects or rodents and cleaning should be arranged to occur
immediately after all events involving food. I would be concerned if
there were irreplaceable, especially vulnerable items, for example
unprotected colour field paintings or paper items, in a space when
alcohol is served and would arrange either physical barriers or
charge an attendant with their protection during the event. I've
attended many such functions, including very enjoyable receptions
for conservators at IIC and AIC meetings, and never had cause for
alarm.

Tom Dixon
Melbourne Australia

                 Distributed: Saturday, March 30, 2013