Subject: Epoxies and fumed silicas

Epoxies and fumed silicas

From: Anniek Manshanden <anniek.manshanden<-at->
Date: Wednesday, March 6, 2013
For my master thesis at the University of Amsterdam I am
investigating the yellowing of fillings made with epoxy and fumed
silica, used to fill missing areas in porcelain.

Part of my investigation will be to do analysis of a selection of
fumed silicas.  In order to make this selection it is important to
know which epoxies and fumed silicas are used by conservators in the
field.  I would also like to know if conservators have experienced
the rapid yellowing of fills made of epoxy with fumed silica.

Finally if anyone has examples of severely yellowed fills where the
materials used are known, I would be very grateful to receive images
(or the objects themselves).

Anniek Manshanden
2nd year Master student in the Conservation and Restoration of
    Ceramic, Glass and Stone
University of Amsterdam

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 20, 2013