Subject: Tyvek UV Facade

Tyvek UV Facade

From: Rebecca Heremans <rebecca.heremans<-at->
Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2013
I am looking for a suitable packing for a stack of sheets of
wallpaper, on which the bright pink pattern is screen-printed. As
the colors of the wallpaper fade easily when exposed to light,
emphasis is put on the importance of a lightproof packing. During my
search for lightproof packing material, I found "black tyvek":

    <URL:http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Construction/en_IE/assets/downloads/brochures/tyvek_uv_facade.pdf>
    <URL:http://construction.tyvek.co.uk/Tyvek_Construction/en_GB/assets/downloads/technical_datasheets/tds_tyvek_uv_facade.pdf>

This is product of DuPont and a construction material. According to
the brochure, this product has

   "Exceptional moisture management properties High
    vapour-permeability for maximum 'breathability' Easy to
    install - difficult to damage Outstanding durability backed by
    rigorous performance testing Guaranteed long term performance"

A few samples of this UV Facade Tyvek (2524B) were sent to me. This
non-woven consists of two layers of tyvek adhered to each other,
that is the generally known soft tyvek (the white one that is used
for several conservation goals) and a black variant. The black tyvek
is heavier and thicker than tyvek soft (195 g/m2 to 60 g/m2), and
therefore more rigid as well.

Does anyone have experience with this black tyvek? Is this suitable
as a packing material for long-term conservation?

Rebecca

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 20, 2013