Subject: Heat-activated Bondex fabric

Heat-activated Bondex fabric

From: Melissa Hainsworth <dhpcol<-at->
Date: Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Does anyone have any long term experience with heat activated
(iron-on) bondex fabrics?

We have a large collection of carpets in storage and many hanging on
display. It has been recommended to us by a dealer in antique
carpets to iron on to the back of the carpets strips of Bondex
fabric to which is sewn a separate layer of fabric. This fabric is
then attached to a pole and hung from the wall for display or a rack
for storage. This would only apply to small carpets.

Unfortunately our storage space is limited and it is neither
possible nor practical to roll each one. Currently many of the
smaller carpets are stacked upon each other, which raises concerns
caused by microclimates and possible insect activity to name a few.
The hanging rack method appears to be the most viable option for
storage. However, I am most concerned regarding the residue that
would be left behind by the adhesive of the bondex fabric and any
long term effects it might have.

I would appreciate any experience people might have with this
adhesive or the hanging rack system.

Miss Melissa Hainsworth
Collection Technician,
Baha'i World Centre