Subject: Preservation Week

Preservation Week

From: Donia Conn <bookconservator<-at->
Date: Wednesday, March 13, 2013
New tools to help libraries celebrate Preservation Week 2013

Events celebrating the fourth annual Preservation Week (April 21-27,
2013) will be held across the country at academic, public and
special libraries. Activities will include lectures, presentations,
demonstrations and workshops, as well as three free Preservation
Week-sponsored webinars.

There is still time to prepare a public event for sharing
information about preserving collections, and an Event Toolkit that
contains resources for planning and promoting Preservation Week
events can be found on the Preservation Week website. Two new online
tools are available now:

    The Event Map helps libraries promote their events and replaces
    the Google Maps that have been used during previous Preservation
    Weeks

and

    The Speaker Locator helps libraries find preservation
    professionals to give presentations and demonstrations during
    Preservation Week or any time.

Another new promotion tool for Preservation Week 2013 is a series of
Preservation Week Quick Tip Cards titled "Save Your Stuff."
Libraries can make them in-house or support Preservation Week by
purchasing them from a printer. The cards give examples of items
that need special care (textiles, scrapbooks, film, audio materials
and others) and provide a link to Quick Tips for caring for that
item. The reverse of the card explains the importance of
Preservation Week. Please look at all the great tools that are
available for you and your library to use to promote Preservation
Week.

New for Preservation Week 2013 will be an all new preservation
advice column--Dear Donia.  What "Dear Abby" was to personal
relationships, Dear Donia will be for all your preservation
conundrums! How do I store my grandfather's letters home from the
front?  What should I do to preserve my family color snapshots that
are fading? How can I preserve my child's baby quilt made by her
great-grandmother? To launch the column on Friday, April 26, 2013 at
11 am EST, Donia Conn will host a one hour live chat t help answer
your preservation questions. In the meantime, feel free to send
Donia questions via the Preservation Week's Facebook page.

Recognizing the critical role libraries play in preservation, the
Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS)
in partnership with the Library of Congress and the Institute of
Museum and Library Services, is proud to bring Preservation Week to
libraries across the country. This national awareness campaign was
developed to promote the understanding and importance of care for
personal and community cultural heritage collections, such as books,
documents, photographs, textiles, paintings, sculptures, furniture
and decorative arts.

ALCTS is a division of the American Library Association.

Donia Conn
Preservation Consultant for Cultural Heritage Collections

                  Distributed: Friday, March 15, 2013