Subject: Mineral stains on resin

Mineral stains on resin

From: Kevin Sheehan <librarian<-at->
Date: Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Recently an unnoticed slow leak from a pipe resulted in some
significant staining on a diorama in our collection.  Dark brown
mineral stains have covered what I think is a clear resin, original
cast to simulate a sea base.  The surface needs to be cleaned to
remove the stains, and the glass-like sea surface would need to be
preserved without abrasion. Could anyone suggest some possible
courses of action?  I can't be more specific about the nature of the
resin, except to say that it is clear.

Kevin Sheehan, Ph.D
Collections Manager / Librarian / Archivist
Maritime Museum of San Diego
1492 North Harbor Drive
San Diego CA 92101

                   Distributed: Monday, March 4, 2013