Subject: Deltathor

Deltathor

From: Gundula Tutt <gundula.tutt<-at->
Date: Monday, February 18, 2013
Valerie Tomlinson <vtomlinson [at] aucklandmuseum__com> writes

>Wouldn't heat treatment be simpler? I've forgotten if this idea was
>mentioned earlier in the string and discarded.

As I understood, Mr.Albert mentioned plastics and wood as materials
in the carriage, so a heat treatment maybe won't cause damages
immediately visible, but most possibly will speed up the aging
processes in such materials. Especially with regard to parts
combining metal and wood, heat can cause them to "work against each
other" (the wood shrinking, the metal expanding). I couldn't find
any practical experiences with similar "mixed materials" and heat
treatment yet; for this we treated two automobiles with carbon
dioxide atmosphere instead.

Gundula Tutt
Diplomrestauratorin
Kaiserstuhlstrasse 24