Subject: Polyethylene foam

Polyethylene foam

From: Curtis Moyer <cxmoye<-at->
Date: Thursday, February 14, 2013
I have been looking at sources for ethafoam / cellofoam in rolls for
lining drawers.  There seem to be very few suppliers and the most
prominent (University Products) charges as much to ship a roll as to
purchase one.  Our purchasing department has found much more
reasonable local sources for polypropylene foam sheets (same basic
conformation but not in rolls--slightly less convenient).  This
polymer is stiffer and has the (perhaps not very likely?) potential
to degrade to nasty by-products, viz formaldehyde.  Is there any
firm consensus on the superiority of the polyethylene foam?  Does
anyone know of a reasonable source for delivered ethafoam other than
UP?

Curt Moyer
Conservator
Dept of Anthropology