Subject: Leather hydration

Leather hydration

From: Diana Ornellas Bencatel <oficina.conserva.me<-at->
Date: Wednesday, February 13, 2013
In a small museum where I work, in Porto (Portugal), there are
twelve chairs of the 1950s that were used in the past in a meeting
room.  Now they are part of the museum and they are not used
anymore. The chairs are made of wood and soft leather.  I am
concerned about the leather because the chairs are displayed in an
area with lots of natural light and I'm afraid the heat from that
light may accelerate the drying of the leather (not to mention the
damage that UV can cause).

Can you give me some advice on how can we avoid this drying by
applying some kind of hydrating product?

Diana Bencatel
Conservator
Conserva.me - Conservacsao de Patrimonio Movel
Museu da Auto Sueco
Porto, Portugal

                 Distributed: Sunday, February 17, 2013