Subject: Deltathor

Deltathor

From: Valerie Tomlinson <vtomlinson<-at->
Date: Monday, February 11, 2013
Jerry Shiner <info [at] keepsafe__ca>

>Gundula Tutt <gundula.tutt [at] freenet__de> writes
>
>>Kasi Albert <albert.kasi [at] dpc__sa__gov__au> writes
>>
>>>A significant historic railway carriage with original carpets and
>>>upholstery has an ongoing infestation of case-making clothes moths
>>>(Tinea pellionella). ...
>>
>>>We have consulted with a pest control contractor, who has suggested
>>>the targeted use of Deltathor Insecticide. Deltamethrin ...
>>
>>Did you ever think of a treatment with modified atmospheres like
>>carbon dioxide? ...
>
>I am following this string with interest.  Of course, my first
>reaction was similar to Gundula's "why not use a modified
>atmosphere?", but then I considered the word "carriage".  A modern
>railroad carriage is a fairly large object; it would take a lot of
>CO2 to fill to 60-65%, and a lot of time, too.  Also, railway
>carriages were not designed to be lightweights, so it could not be
>easily moved or tightly wrapped.  Then I reconsidered:

Wouldn't heat treatment be simpler? I've forgotten if this idea was
mentioned earlier in the string and discarded.

A tight seal would not be necessary, and so long as all materials on
the carriage could handle 60 deg. C for a few hours it would be OK.
Just blow hot air into the carriage with doors and windows closed
until all the beasties are baked. A few heaters with a controlling
thermostat and a few strategically placed temperature monitors to
make sure the heat penetration is complete is all that's required.

High temperatures are not ideal for aging of materials but heat
treatment is fast, so they only have to handle it for a short while.
Also, one would have to be especially careful with synthetics that
melt/soften/warp.

Valerie Tomlinson
Conservators
Auckland War Memorial Museum