Subject: Scavengers

Scavengers

From: Gabrielle Flexer <gabrielle.flexer<-at->
Date: Monday, January 28, 2013
As an MA student in conservation I am currently completing an
industrial placement and have come across a query around the
effectiveness of scavengers against reduced sulphides given off by
degrading wool and other proteinaceous materials.  Many scavengers
are only tested for their effectiveness against hydrogen sulphide
produced by external pollutants but not for reduced sulphides.

Whilst there have been many experiments which show scavengers to be
effective at reducing tarnish on silver and other metals I aim to
complete a modified Oddy test to specifically determine the
effectiveness of scavengers against reduced sulphides.  In order to
make the experiment effective and worthwhile I was hoping members of
the list could reply with the commercial names and suppliers of
scavengers currently in use and the circumstances in which they are
used i.e. in direct contact to objects or part of the filtering
system.

Gabrielle Flexer

                Distributed: Saturday, February 9, 2013