Subject: Special events in museums

Special events in museums

From: Lisa A. Young <youngla<-at->
Date: Thursday, January 24, 2013
The NASM conservation unit of the National Air and Space Museum has
been asked to participate in a working group at our museum to
establish guidelines and recommendations for use of our museum
during special events.  As one of the most visited museums in the
world, NASM hosts special events at both the Washington DC and
Chantilly, VA locations almost weekly throughout the year.  We are
interested in establishing better guidelines for items such as
access in and around display areas containing large artifacts; light
levels and placement of lighting in displays; construction of
stages; vibration and noise levels and placement of food and drink
locations to name a few.

We would be very interested in gathering information prior to our
meeting and possibly looking at other policies that conservators
have worked on in collaboration with a large museum.  If anyone
would be willing to share a written policy that includes
conservation-minded items we would be most grateful.  We would
certainly be willing to share our final policy with others as well.

We are hoping to establish flexible guidelines so that we can
continue to host such events in our Museum, however, we would like
to make sure people are mindful of the artifacts and that the
preservation of the objects is kept in mind at all times.

Lisa Young
Objects Conservator, NASM

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 6, 2013