Subject: Deltathor

Deltathor

From: Kasi Albert <albert.kasi<-at->
Date: Thursday, January 17, 2013
A significant historic railway carriage with original carpets and
upholstery has an ongoing infestation of case-making clothes moths
(Tinea pellionella).  We have been unable to control them using
normal integrated pest management activities (cleaning, checking
etc) and have decided to try to eliminate them using an insecticide
treatment.

We have consulted with a pest control contractor, who has suggested
the targeted use of Deltathor Insecticide. Deltamethrin is a
residual pyrethroid (1%), used with propylene glycol (>1%) and
"other non hazardous ingredients secret (mostly water)" (to 100%).

As the carriage contains numerous different original surfaces
(painted metal, wood, plastics etc.) we were wondering if anyone has
had any experience with the use of this pesticide and any effects it
may have on composite objects?

Kasi Albert
Preventive Conservator
Artlab Australia