Subject: Flash primer

Flash primer

From: Mary Fahey <maryf<-at->
Date: Monday, January 14, 2013
Gundula Tutt <gundula.tutt [at] freenet__de> writes

>.. what is a "flash primer"?

I spoke with a number of volunteers in my department. Most of them
are retired automobile company employees. Below are his thoughts:

   "I have never heard that exact terminology before.  But, I do
    think he is referring to part of DuPont's nitro-cellulose
    lacquer painting system (Duco) that was developed in the
    twenties.  Not sure if the term actually would refer to the
    shortened "flash-off" time of the paint/primer, the flash
    paper/gun cotton connection of nitro-cellulose, or (as the story
    goes) the exploding billiard balls.  However, Duco did allow
    faster body painting on the assembly lines of the time."

Mary Fahey
Chief Conservator/Head of Preservation
Henry Ford Museum
20900 Oakwood