Subject: Why I Give to CoOL

Why I Give to CoOL

From: Olivia Primanis <primanis<-at->
Date: Thursday, January 17, 2013
Why I give to CoOL
Olivia Primanis
Book Conservator
Ransom Center, University of Texas, Austin

When I am stumped by a preservation problem or conservation
treatment, I consult CoOL and the Conservation Distlist. I can
quickly gather information from this amazing centralized repository
covering over twenty-five preservation and conservation topics,
selected bibliographies and more. I can find organizations like WAAC
and the Video Preservation website or query the archives of numerous
sister organizations. I find that even if I don't navigate to CoOL
when I have a query, I usually find myself directed there by the
search engine.

How often do you enjoy reading the Distlist or consult CoOL?

I remember Walter Henry telling us about the World Wide Web at AIC
meetings in the late 1980s and the new way that conservators would
be able to communicate. Walter built a pretty remarkable framework.
Combined with the Conservation Distlist, which has over 10,000
members in 94 countries, Conservation Online has become one of the
main sources for preservation and conservation information in the
world.

CoOL, like the AIC and the FAIC, is us. It is an essential resource
for our field, where we can build on the past with our current
efforts. Since the FAIC has taken over responsibility, a new phase
has begun for CoOL. At this time, I would like to challenge the
conservation community to give to CoOL, so that we can continue to
build Conservation Online, and so that it can continue to be freely
available to conservators around the world.

If you would pay $1.00 a day for coffee to stay awake, how much
could a resource be worth if it helps you stay informed?  Please
join me to support CoOL and remember no contribution is too small.

You can donate online at <URL:http://www.conservation-us.org/donate>
or mail a check to:

    Foundation of the American Institute for Conservation (FAIC)
    1156 15th Street, NW, Suite 320
    Washington, DC 20005

Thank you for your participation and support.

                 Distributed: Sunday, January 20, 2013