Subject: Perspiration stains on silk

Perspiration stains on silk

From: Regina Hollinger <regina.hoellinger<-at->
Date: Sunday, January 6, 2013
I am a student in Textile Conservation from the University of
Applied Arts in Vienna. This year I am working on my diploma
project, the conservation of a silk dress (dated around 1840). The
lining is cotton, treated with a starch finish. A main focus in
conservation is the degraded silk fabric in the underarm areas
because of perspiration stains. Due to the degrading effect on the
silk fibre I would like to remove or reduce the perspiration
residues, if possible. Has somebody experience in removing
perspiration stains on silk without complete wet cleaning of the
object? I have not found much literature to this topic during my
research.

Regina Hoellinger
Student
Department of Conservation