Subject: Elastolin and Lineol

Elastolin and Lineol

From: Victor Borges <v.borges<-at->
Date: Thursday, January 10, 2013
As part of the toy collection of the Museum of Childhood in London
(Victoria and Albert Museum) I have recently assessed a collection
of very small toy soldiers from the II WW made by the German firm
Elastolin and Lineol.

These figures seem to have been made out of sawdust, glue and a wire
structure compressed into a mould. Most of them present structural
cracks and flaking pain. I have not come across this material before
and I would appreciate advise if anyone has had experience working
on these type of figures and materials particularly relating to the
consolidation of the body and the paint. Also any bibliographic
references would be very much appreciated.

Victor Hugo Lopez Borges
Senior Sculpture Conservator
Conservation Department
Victoria and Albert Museum