Subject: Pro Haze Fluid

Pro Haze Fluid

From: Barry Knight <barry.knight<-at->
Date: Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Kjersti Ellewsen <kjersti.ellewsen [at] ra__no> writes

>I have had a question from a church about Pro Haze Fluid, also
>called Techno-Haze Fluid, manufactured by Jem. A TV-company wants to
>use the synthetic smoke when recording a concert in a listed church
>with valuable church art.
>
>The smoke contains food grade glycols and polyglycols in
>de-mineralised water. Being of low volatility, I wonder if any of
>the substances will deposit on the fragile decorated surfaces.

I would like to back up Monona Rossol's comments about theatrical
smoke fluids--although I have no experience with Pro Haze, I have
had bad experiences with smoke fluids in the past.  The constituents
of smokes are sticky and hygroscopic, so when they deposit on
textiles they attract dust, and when they deposit on iron objects
they cause rusting. I'd avoid them if at all possible.

Dr Barry Knight
Head of Conservation Research
The British Library
96 Euston Road