Subject: Samurai Armor

Samurai Armor

From: Leila Mazzon <leila.mazzon<-at->
Date: Monday, December 10, 2012
I am an MA student currently finishing off my Masters dissertation
on the materials involved in Japanese Samurai armour and the
problems these can cause for conservation. I have received a lot of
helpful feedback from a previous posts I had submitted months ago.

One of my chapters deals with the differences in the conservation
ethics and methods between the 'Western' world and the way it is
done in Japan. I am also expected to do a literature review on how
much has been published on the differing methods and see if there
were any conferences, symposia or colloquiums etc. that were
organised to discuss these different methods. I was wondering if
anyone knew of any such 'summit' that was organised or knew if there
were any relevant literature I could read on the subject of ethics
and method (of both cultural approaches). I find it quite difficult
to access information of that kind since I do not read or understand
Japanese (so most of my research on ethics and conservation methods
of Japanese armour are mostly focused on Western views) but I am
fluent in French, German, Italian, English and I can read Spanish
sufficiently well so if anyone has any tips or resources to offer
please feel free to contact me.

Leila Mazzon
MA Conservation of Historical Objects
University of Lincoln, UK