Subject: Stains on silk

Stains on silk

From: Kathleen Mcmaster <kamcmast<-at->
Date: Friday, December 7, 2012
Laura Mina <laura.mina [at] philamuseum__org> writes

>I am considering treatment options for a girl's dress made of silk
>organza that has many brown stains--possibly fruit juice or milk.
>Some of my research suggests that dilute ammonium hydroxide is
>effective at removing these stains, but I haven't found any case
>studies.

Recently, while  undertaking my own research on stain removal from
wool, I came across an article from Studies in Conservation that may
be of some use. While slightly older, the article discusses stain
removal from a silk underdress dating to the early 19th century. I
found it through JSTOR, but have it saved as a PDF file. If you are
unable to access the article, send me an email and I can send it to
you.

    Finch, Karen.
    "Conservation of a Dress Worn by Mary Birch, 4 Years Old in
    1812."
    Studies in Conservation 8 (1963): 106-111.

Best of luck,

Kate McMaster
Conservation Intern
City of Hamilton