Subject: East German artists' materials

East German artists' materials

From: Sabine Cotte <sabinec<-at->
Date: Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Does anyone know about the type of paint used by artists in East
Germany and Russia in the late 1970s? I am conserving a 1978
painting by a North Vietnamese artist and I've been told that he
used East German paint, mixed sometimes with Russian paint. The
paint is not water soluble, looks quite matte and thin. The mix of
the two paints produces a grainy effect similar to mixing sand
within paint. I'd be very grateful for any information about the
type of paint used in these countries at the time; many thanks

Sabine Cotte
PMAICCM
Paintings Conservation
31 Niagara Lane