Subject: Unpaid positions

Unpaid positions

From: Ida Pohoriljakova <ida.pohoriljakova<-at->
Date: Thursday, November 22, 2012
I would like to express my gratitude to Mr. Dixon for raising the
issue of unpaid internships and fellowships. As an emerging
conservator, I find the deficiency in employment opportunities for
recent graduates in some countries deeply concerning. Post-graduate
internships and fellowships are a crucial way for recent graduates
to gain experience. Unfortunately, unpaid opportunities are not
viable options for everyone. I understand that the heritage sector
lacks the kind of funding that other sectors enjoy and that finding
money to preserve and protect cultural heritage requires a lot of
effort, time, and energy. I believe, however, that working towards
creating paid opportunities for recent graduates is essential for
the sustainment and development of a profession. I hope that this
conversation will continue and that together we can think of
solutions to solve this problem.

Ida Pohoriljakova
Emerging Conservator, Canada

                Distributed: Tuesday, November 27, 2012