Subject: Boric acid

Boric acid

From: Elizabeth Branigan <elizabeth.branigan<-at->
Date: Wednesday, November 14, 2012
A local historic library has a mould problem under the floor--in the
void--with mould on the joists. It is recognised that this needs to
be tackled at source with the introduction of air circulation and
other methods but in the meantime the architect has suggested using
ProBor 20 (Boric acid) as a treatment for the timbers to kill the
mould spores and prevent regrowth. As a conservator I would normally
suggest using an alcohol--isopropanol or IDA for this job and I have
concerns about the off-gassing potential of the probor 20 treatment
as it is not intended to remove the books when this is happening. I
wonder if anyone has experience or more knowledge of the chemistry
of this?

Liz Branigan ACR
Head of Conservation
Conservation Unit