Subject: Blind stamps on drawing paper

Blind stamps on drawing paper

From: Eun-Jin Kim <sanamom<-at->
Date: Tuesday, November 6, 2012
In-Sung Lee (1912~1950) is a painter who left remarkable artistic
achievement in the history of Korean art. While preparing his
retrospective exhibition at the National Museum of Contemporary Art
Korea, we had a chance to have a closer look at his works of art.
Interestingly, some of his watercolors from the 1930s have two types
of blind stamp: one could be read "Dixons David Cox Drawing" and the
other "ETOILE DARGENT" in a circular form with 'Z' letter inside. I
presume that the artist got those foreign materials from Japan where
he once lived in those days. However I could not find any detailed
information on these paper supports through research.

It would be grateful if anyone can share his knowledge on these
paper companies or blind stamps. It would be very interesting to
know about artist's suppliers and imported materials from Europe to
Asia in the 1930s.

Eun-Jin Kim
Paintings Conservator
National Museum of Contemporary Art Korea

                 Distributed: Monday, November 12, 2012