Subject: Masonite damaged by termites

Masonite damaged by termites

From: Isabelle Waters-Lynch <isabellewaters<-at->
Date: Wednesday, October 31, 2012
I am looking for advice or information on how to treat a severely
deteriorated Aboriginal church panel painting. The support is
Masonite, the surface natural binder and ochre. The termites have
eaten through most of the support, leaving very thin sections of the
panel. The support is therefore uneven, porous, degraded.

The work is held in northern Australia, in very basic conditions
with high humidity and high temperatures. It needs to be displayed
on a wall.

The two options I am considering is using a paper mache technique,
with a natural adhesive such as sturgeon glue, and building up
layers of support. Then attaching the work to a support, perhaps a
fabric or perspex, with clips.

The other option is to use a mold technique, by which I would build
a slurry, using liquitex and hebel stone (aerated concrete) and
supporting this in a lightweight, perhaps honeycomb aluminum.

Prior to structural treatment, I am considering consolidation of the
surface media with an ultrasonic mister--all solubility testing
resulted in tide lines.

I would appreciate any advice; the work is highly significant and
part of a collection of Aboriginal Catholic church panel paintings.

Isabelle Waters-Lynch

                Distributed: Saturday, November 3, 2012