Subject: Silicone rubber

Silicone rubber

From: Sjoukje van der Laan <sjoukjevanderlaan<-at->
Date: Wednesday, October 17, 2012
To complete my master Restoration and Conservation of Modern and
Contemporary Art at the University of Amsterdam I have to write a
thesis. For this thesis, I want to research the conservation of
degraded silicone rubber, with the focus on 'bleeding' silicone
rubber. Hereby, the silicone rubber is covered with drops of
(silicone)oil. In the articles by Simone Miller (Silicone in Modern
Arts Part I and II) this phenomena is also mentioned, with some
cases as illustrations.

My question is if someone have seen more artworks made of silicone
rubber with this phenomena. And if so, what was the conservation
strategy for these objects?

I look forward to your answers,

Sjoukje van der Laan
Master Conservation and Restoration of Modern and Contemporary Art

                 Distributed: Monday, October 22, 2012