Subject: Rubber cement stains

Rubber cement stains

From: Kyla Ubbink <kyla.ubbink<-at->
Date: Monday, October 8, 2012
Kyla Ubbink <kyla.ubbink [at] sympatico__ca> writes

>Miriam A. Kilmer <miriam [at] risingdove__com> writes
>
>>Does anyone know of a safe and effective way to remove rubber cement
>>stains from paper?  Robert C. Morrison wrote in 1995: "To my
>>knowledge, there is no solvent for rubber cement [made from natural
>>rubber]."
>
>... there is a
>commercial product available specifically for dissolving rubber
>cement adhesive called "Bestine". It is basically Heptane and is
>available at artist's supply stores.

>Heptane has a great advantages: it does not dissolve dirt and
>therefore does not leave tidemarks; does not require a fume hood or
>suction table; and I have yet to find an ink that is soluble in
>Heptane (although testing first is always wise). I do recommend
>wearing Nitrile gloves when working with this chemical.

It has been brought to my attention that a full face respirator
should be worn when working with Bestine. Please see MSDS sheet at

    <URL:http://papercement.com/msds_bestine.pdf>

Kyla Ubbink
Paper and Book Conservator
(CAPC Accredited)/Owner-Ubbink Book and Paper Conservation
6544 Bilberry Drive
Ottawa ON K1C 4N6

                Distributed: Saturday, October 13, 2012