Subject: Modostuc

Modostuc

From: Claire Cuyaubere <claire.ada<-at->
Date: Monday, September 24, 2012
Renita Ryan <ryan.renita [at] dpc__sa__gov__au> writes

>Our lab purchased a tub of white Modostuc approximately 12 months
>ago. It is the first time we have purchased the product.  Apart from
>occasional use, the tub has sat with its lid on inside a cupboard.
>We were surprised and alarmed to see recently that the whole surface
>of the Modostuc has gone mouldy.  It cannot be salvaged.  Is this
>usual? Should we have kept it in the fridge?  Any ideas or
suggestions welcome.

As far as I know, Modostuc has always grown mould on its surface
after a while. It also easily gets dry. This is why you often need
to add a little water to prevent it from drying out. In order to
prevent mould growing as well, you should add some ethanol with the
water (approximately water 5:1 ethanol).

In any case, I've never tried to keep some in the fridge, and I
would recommend that you throw your whole Modostuc tub as soon as
mould appears.

Claire Cuyaubere
Objects Conservator
French National Institute for Cultural Heritage

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 25, 2012