Subject: Modostuc

Modostuc

From: Chris Stavroudis <cstavrou<-at->
Date: Sunday, September 23, 2012
Renita Ryan <ryan.renita [at] dpc__sa__gov__au> writes

>Our lab purchased a tub of white Modostuc approximately 12 months
>ago. It is the first time we have purchased the product.  Apart from
>occasional use, the tub has sat with its lid on inside a cupboard.
>We were surprised and alarmed to see recently that the whole surface
>of the Modostuc has gone mouldy.  It cannot be salvaged.  Is this
>usual? Should we have kept it in the fridge?  Any ideas or
suggestions welcome.

I have found that for many water-based products in tubs that are
used for a prolonged time, e.g. fill materials, Lascaux adhesives,
etc., that spritzing the lid and top of the material with alcohol
(ethanol or isopropanol) immediately before closing the container
can forestall mold growth and other biological activity.

Chris Stavroudis
Paintings Conservator
Los Angeles, CA

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 25, 2012