Subject: Modostuc

Modostuc

From: Eneida Parreira <info<-at->
Date: Saturday, September 15, 2012
Renita Ryan <ryan.renita [at] dpc__sa__gov__au> writes

>Our lab purchased a tub of white Modostuc approximately 12 months
>ago. It is the first time we have purchased the product.  Apart from
>occasional use, the tub has sat with its lid on inside a cupboard.
>We were surprised and alarmed to see recently that the whole surface
>of the Modostuc has gone mouldy.  It cannot be salvaged.  Is this
>usual? Should we have kept it in the fridge?  Any ideas or
suggestions welcome.

I have been using Modostuc for more than 20 years. Though I don't
use mostly Modostuc anymore, I still have it in the studio and I
know many people who also use it. I have seen mould growing after
time or when many different people in one studio use the Modostuc
because some will be less careful than others. In general, if you
keep a piece of mylar cut to the size of the tub covering the
Modostuc and in contact with it, plus the original lid, it should
last a long time. When using it, remove the amount you need, close
the tub and never put leftovers back in the tub. I always remove a
larger amount from the tub and keep it in a small container for
daily use.

Modostuc is also available in smaller tubes. You can try that. I
would still remove a smaller amount and keep it in a tightly closed
container for daily use.

Eneida Parreira
Restaurator van Schilderijen
Nicolaas Maesstraat 22-2